Montreal Varnish Fumes Send Seven To Hospital
MONTREAL - Five adults and two children from a centre for people with disabilities have been sent to hospital in Montreal after being overcome by varnish fumes.
Stephane Smith, a spokesman for the city's ambulance service, says the five adults are in their 20s, while the children are aged nine and 12.
The seven are reported to be in stable condition.
About 15 people had to be evacuated from the facility, which is attended by children with minor mental and physical disabilities.
Smith says workers had applied the varnish while doing renovations in the building earlier in the day but did not ventilate the area properly.
As the fumes spread, people reported suffering from nausea and chest pains.