NEWS

Nova Scotia to spend $1.1 million to upgrade equipment at two hospitals

12/21/2011 08:48 EST | Updated 02/20/2012 05:12 EST
HALIFAX - The Nova Scotia government says it will spend nearly $1.1 million to upgrade medical equipment at two Cape Breton hospitals.

Health Minister Maureen MacDonald says the province will give $975,000 toward a new CT scanner for the Cape Breton Regional Hospital and $112,500 for a new digital angiography unit at the Glace Bay Hospital.

The new units will replace older equipment that can no longer be repaired.

The new CT scanner replaces a 12-year-old scanner at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital that could no longer be used, while the digital angiography unit will replace a 13-year-old analog machine.

The new unit will be used to assess patients with macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and other retinal diseases.

Funding from the province covers 75 per cent of the cost, while the Cape Breton District Health Authority will provide the remaining 25 per cent.

MORE:cpNews