The Toronto police offer the following tips if you plan to leave your home unattended this holiday season.
1. Install motion sensor lights.
2. Keep a radio on near the front door.
3. Have someone pick up your mail and shovel your snow.
4. Be a good neighbour — keep your eyes out for any suspicious behaviour or strangers on your street, and call police with any concerns.
5. Don't leave packaging from your presents outside your home.
6. Make sure gifts and Christmas tree are not in plain sight from the street.
7. Keep a log of all the big-ticket items in your home. In case of theft you'll have the make, model and serial number to help police track them down.
8. If you are robbed, don't be embarassed. Call police at 416-808-2222.