NEWS

Family of overpass crash victims appeal for change

01/06/2012 11:17 EST | Updated 03/07/2012 05:12 EST

Family and friends who gathered to mourn a Montreal couple killed in a bizarre crash last week are still left with lingering questions about the incident that claimed their loved ones.

Vicky and Luigino Parissi died Dec. 28 after their truck flipped off an overpass on Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Boulevard near the entrance to Highway 20 in a snowstorm and plunged on to the train tracks below. Their vehicle was hit by an oncoming Via Rail train.

At the couple’s funeral Thursday, Vicky’s brother put the blame squarely on the provincial and municipal governments for what he called a "shameful" lack of protection for motorists using the roadway.

"You don’t have a two-foot barrier blocking a 30-foot drop – it’s ridiculous," said Fabio Centini.

"I think the Government of Quebec and the municipal government of Montreal should be ashamed for not taking care of their citizens in a better fashion and making the roads a safer place."

The couple’s son, one of their three children, appealed to the city to make the changes necessary to ensure accidents like the one that killed his parents don’t happen again on Montreal roads.

"They’re not safe anymore," Anthony Parissi said. "I would like the City of Montreal to please fix these roads. Make them safe [so none] of these tragedies happen any more."

MORE:cbcNews