Heavy snow is making roads and highways treacherous across many areas of Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley on Monday morning, causing long delays on many bus routes.
The heaviest snow fell in Fraser Valley east of Vancouver, where a few private schools and all the campuses of the Fraser Valley University were closed.
TransLink was reporting many bus routes were running late because of the snow.
"Icy roads and traffic conditions in general are still playing havoc with bus service all around Metro Vancouver: buses are delayed, particularly in the city of Vancouver -- notably around 16th and Oak," said TransLink spokesperson Drew Snider.
HandyDART services are operating on reduced services only.
"That means trips for renal dialysis, cancer treatment, medical appointments and work. Miscellaneous trips are cancelled. Anyone who was taken out prior to the change to reduced service will be taken back home again," said Snider.
All SkyTrain services are operating normally, and crews are watching to ensure the snow does not interfere with the guideway intrusion system, he said.
Environment Canada expanded an earlier snowfall warning to include the Fraser Valley (15 to 20 cm.), Metro Vancouver (5 to 10 cm.) and Greater Victoria and the Southern Gulf Islands (5 cm.).
More heavy snow is forecast for the region later in the week. The snow is the result of a cold air mass covering much of B.C. and wind chill values along the North and Central Coast could hit -20 C over the next few days.
In the Central Interior wind chill values are forecast to hit -35 C to -40, while in Northwestern B.C. wind chill values are forecast to hit -45 C.
Many residents of Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley spent the weekend digging themselves out of the first snowfall to hit the region on Friday night.
- University of the Fraser Valley - all campuses closed all day and tonight.
- Starlight Learning Center, Aldergrove.
- Cornerstone Christian School, Abbotsford.
- Dasmesh Punjabi School, Abbotsford.
- Fraser Valley Adventist Academy, Langley.
- St. Jean Brebeuf Secondary, Abbotsford.
- St. James Catholic, Abbotsford.
- King's School, Langley.
- Langley-Fraser Valley Adventist Academy.
No bus service:
- Chehalis Community School, Mission.
- Credo Christian High School, Langley.
- John Calvin Christian School, Yarrow.
Suggest a correction