NEWS

Doctor says Regina hospitals backlogged with patients have cancelled surgeries

01/17/2012 09:48 EST | Updated 03/18/2012 05:12 EDT
REGINA - Some patients in the Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region are reporting their surgeries have been cancelled.

Senior medical officer Dr. Joy Dobson says four surgeries were cancelled yesterday and another four were cancelled for today.

Dobson says they are not surgeries for cancer or for patients who have been waiting a long time.

But she allows it is unfortunate the health region cannot provide the care the patients wanted.

The region has been suffering from an overcrowding crisis in hospitals.

On Monday, it said some test procedures had been cancelled but yesterday Dobson said that was not being done after all.

She said there have been some improvements made in the overcrowding crisis, with hospitals going from 36 patients waiting for a bed on the ward to 12.

“Right now it is too early to say that we have made any significant improvements,” said Dobson.

After hitting unprecedented capacity numbers back on Jan. 6, when Pasqua Hospital was recorded as being at 133 per cent capacity, the health region has been in reassessment.

Authorities still feel there is untapped potential in rural hospitals, and are attempting to get people back to those hospitals if they are closer to their homes.

(CJME)

MORE:cpNews