There is more snow and freezing rain in the forecast for Metro Vancouver and the rest of the South Coast on Friday, as a moist blast of Pacific air collides with the arctic system that has kept the province in a deep freeze all week.
Environment Canada has issued a winter storm warning for the entire West Coast. The heaviest snow is expected to fall in the Eastern Fraser Valley once again, Howe Sound and Whistler. High winds of 50 to 100 km/hour are also forecast for coastal areas.
Freezing rain is expected to fall across the South Coast during the day and into Friday night, with up to 20 millimetres of ice accumulation possible in the Fraser Valley and Howe Sound.
Across the Interior of the province heavy snow is forecast for many areas on Friday and Saturday with a chance of freezing rain in southern areas near the U.S. border.
In Metro Vancouver during the morning commute TransLink was reporting snow, slush and traffic accidents are already affecting operations and is warning people to dress for the weather and expect delays.
Buses were generally all on their normal routes, but areas with higher elevations or steep hills may see some disruptions. The road to SFU was and no problems were reported.
The SkyTrain was running, but slower than usual, especially on the Expo Line, as attendants dealt with problems with freezing doors.
HandyDART was doing essential services only, meaning only kidney dialysis and cancer treatment appointments.
In the Interior Highway 1 was closed in both directions 15 kilometres east of Golden by a traffic accident.
On Vancouver Island black ice was reported on the Malahat Highway and other areas.
Several morning departures and arrivals in and out of Vancouver International Airport were also cancelled.
- University of the Fraser Valley – all campuses.
- Mission School District – all public schools.
- Abbotsford School district - all public schools.
- Chilliwack School District – all public schools.
- Cowichan Valley School Distrust - all public schools.
- Coast Mountain School District - all public schools.
- Fraser-Cascade School District Pro-D day cancelled.
- Surrey Christian School.
- William of Orange, Surrey.
- Cloverdale Christian.
- White Rock Christian open at 10:15 a.m.
- Mennonite Educational Institute, Abbotsford.
- St John Brebeuf Secondary, Abbotsford.
- St James Elementary, Abbotsford.
- Dasmesh Punjabi School, Abbotsford.
- Cornerstone Christian, Abbotsford.
- Fraser Valley Adventist Academy, Aldergrove.
- The King's School, Langley.
- Unity Christian, Chilliwack.
- Laverndrye French School
- Seabird Island College and Preschool.
- Langley Christian School, all campuses.
- Little Flower Academy, Vancouver.
- Credo Christian.
- Christian Elementary, Langley.
- Maple Ridge Christian School.
- James Cameron Elementary.
- Choice School Richmond.
- Vancouver College Catholic Boys School.
Suggest a correction