NEWS

Barrier installed at site of overpass deaths

01/25/2012 12:12 EST | Updated 03/26/2012 05:12 EDT

Transport Quebec has installed a concrete barrier on an overpass that was the site of a horrific accident last month.

Vicky and Luigino Parissi died during a snowstorm on Dec. 28. Their truck flipped off the overpass on Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue Boulevard near the entrance to Highway 20 in Montreal West. Their vehicle then plunged on to the train tracks below and was hit by an oncoming Via Rail train.

No immediate repairs were made on the overpass, and the family of the victims complained that the barrier that existed before the accident was insufficient to ensure public safety.

This week, family members of the Lasalle couple were relieved to see that Transport Quebec had built a new barrier over the weekend.

Fabio Centini, the twin brother of Vicky Parissi, said the increased size of the new barrier shows just how dangerous the old one was.

"Such a big fall was exposed to vehicles with no protection whatsover, and just by the size of the wall and the work that was done, they finally realized that was a dangerous spot," said Centini.

Centini said he was told not to expect a coroner's report into the incident for at least a year.

MORE:cbcNews