SPORTS

Canadian Peliwo reaches Aussie Open boys final

01/27/2012 11:30 EST | Updated 03/28/2012 05:12 EDT

Despite the earlier exits of Daniel Nestor and Milos Raonic from the Australian Open, Canadians remain well represented at the event: Vancouver's Filip Peliwo has reached the junior boy's final.

Peliwo entered tournament on a high note after the biggest singles victory of his budding career in Traralgon, Australia, last week. He continued his winning streak on Friday, defeating Joshua Ward-Hibbert of Great Britain in the semifinals.

Peliwo advanced in 75 minutes with five aces and four double faults, breaking service on three of six occasions.

"I returned well and served well in the tough situations," Peliwo said. "I controlled the baseline and had good defence. I was able to put pressure on him.

Peliwo will face Australian Luke Saville in the finals on the main Australian Open court — Rod Laver arena. It will be a re-match for the pair — Peliwo beating Saville in the Traralgon junior event 160 kilometres from Melbourne only a week ago.

"It will be an experience to play on the Rod Laver arena, I'm looking forward to it," Peliwo said. "I've never been on a stage so big. The opponent will have the crowd with him, but I'm used to that by now."

In the junior girls semifinal, Eugenie Bouchard of Westmount, Que., lost 7-5, 6-1 to Russian Yulia Putintseva. It was Bouchard's second consecutive appearance in the tournamnet semis.

Entering the tournament, Bouchard was seeded second and ranked No. 3 in the ITF World Junior rankings. Her last tournament finals victory came in 2011 in the Wimbedon junior doubles division.

MORE:cbcSports