POLITICS

Building in fatal Iqaluit fire not on watch list: Nunavut government

03/07/2012 01:32 EST | Updated 05/07/2012 05:12 EDT
IQALUIT, Nunavut - The Nunavut government says a building that was the site of a fatal fire had never been flagged as a hazard.

The statement comes after the territory's former fire marshal released documents showing that another building in the same complex had inadequate fire walls between the units.

The problems with that building were fixed, but it still isn't clear if the one that burned down last month had been similarly upgraded.

Former fire marshal Tony Noakes, who lost his job in May 2010 after he voiced related concerns, says Nunavut had no building inspectors until last year.

At least two people died when a 22-unit block in the White Row apartments went up in flames Feb. 27.

The fire is still under investigation.