For the third time in four months, a Dominican judge has delayed a decision in the murder trial of two Montreal men accused of beating an Ontario teen to death outside a resort last year.
A long-awaited decision in the case was expected Monday but the judge pushed back his decision to May 7 in response to a defence request to review earlier testimony from forensic doctors.
Jordan Morrison, 19, of Barrie, Ont., died on Feb. 4, 2011, after getting into an argument with a group of men at a Punta Cana resort. The altercation began inside a club then moved out to the street, where Morrison was badly beaten and suffered head injuries. He died en route to hospital.
Montreal men Bouzid Redha and Dmytro Aref Yev, both 21 at the time, are charged with murder in Morrison’s death. Three other Canadian men were acquitted in the case.
The lawyer for the two men has said they were drunk at the time of the alternation and did not intend to kill Morrison.
Monday's decision is the latest in a string of delays in the case. A decision had been expected initially in December 2011 and again in February of this year. On both occasions, the judge's decision was not delivered due to problems getting the accused to the courthouse.
Jordan’s parents — Dale Morrison and his wife Carrie McGinnis — have travelled to the Dominican multiple times in an attempt to get justice for their son and have expressed frustration at the delays.
They told CBC News in an exclusive interview in December they have “gone broke” trying to see the case to its conclusion, spending $20,000 on travel, lawyers and a private investigator.
Suggest a correction