POLITICS

New Brunswick communities get relieved of some RCMP policing costs

03/16/2012 03:07 EDT | Updated 05/16/2012 05:12 EDT
MONCTON, N.B. - The federal government has announced an agreement that will relieve Greater Moncton and Sackville of some of their RCMP policing costs.

As of April 1, Ottawa will pay 10 per cent of the RCMP policing costs in the Greater Moncton region.

The municipalities of Moncton, Riverview and Dieppe will pay the rest.

The federal government will cover 30 per cent of the RCMP costs in Sackville, while the town will cover the remaining 70 per cent.

Under the current arrangement, the communities pay all of their RCMP policing costs.

The federal government says the move will save the communities $2.5 million annually.