Firefighters were called to the building in the Pointe-Saint-Charles district in the city’s southwest at about 10:30 p.m. and were met by heavy smoke.
Inside, they found two people dead, an 80-year-old woman and a 51-year-old man.
A third person was taken to hospital in critical condition but hospital officials now say that person is now out of danger.
Firefighters say it appears the blaze at the rooming house (on Favard St.) was accidental and police say it may have been started on a stove.
It seems that the building lacked smoke alarms.Suggest a correction