POLITICS

Fire in Montreal rooming house Sunday night claims two lives

05/07/2012 02:46 EDT | Updated 07/06/2012 05:12 EDT
MONTREAL - Two people are dead following a fire in a Montreal rooming house late Sunday night.

Firefighters were called to the building in the Pointe-Saint-Charles district in the city’s southwest at about 10:30 p.m. and were met by heavy smoke.

Inside, they found two people dead, an 80-year-old woman and a 51-year-old man.

A third person was taken to hospital in critical condition but hospital officials now say that person is now out of danger.

Firefighters say it appears the blaze at the rooming house (on Favard St.) was accidental and police say it may have been started on a stove.

It seems that the building lacked smoke alarms.