The driver charged in a tragic accident in downtown Vancouver three years ago in which a toddler in a stroller was struck and killed by a flatbed tow truck is expected to plead guilty to a lesser charge when he appears in court in June.
William Mah was originally charged with dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm following the 2009 Vancouver traffic accident that left the two-year-old girl dead and put her mother in hospital.
But a spokesperson for the Crown said Monday it was difficult to put together a case that would prove Mah was criminally negligent.
The Crown says Mah is expected to plead guilty to driving without due care and attention when he appears in court June 8. He could face a fine of up to $2,000.
Mah was scheduled to enter a plea Monday but the case was delayed to allow the toddler's mother, aJapanese woman who was living in Vancouver with her Canadian husband at the time of the accident, to make a victim impact statement. The two-year-old victim was their only child.
Mah did not appear in court Monday and was not required to.
In 2009, court documents showed Mah, who operated a business called Vancouver Towing Limited, had been ticketed for 16 traffic violations since 2000, including four for speeding and five for failing to stop at traffic lights or stop signs.
Suggest a correction