NEWS

Galt St. triplex burns in Southwest borough

05/28/2012 09:56 EDT | Updated 07/28/2012 05:12 EDT

Montreal's fire department was called to a serious fire at a triplex at 1700 Galt Street in the Ville Émard neighbourhood of the Southwest borough Monday.

The fire began just before 7 a.m. on the third floor of the residential building.

"Nobody was living inside," said Luc Robillard, chief of operations for the Montreal fire department. "It was [under] renovation."

Nobody was injured, but firefighters were ordered out of the first floor of the building when the fire was raging, because the situation was too dangerous, Robillard said.

The fire did not spread to neighbouring buildings, but Robillard said they were evacuated nonetheless as a precaution.

By 8:30 a.m. the fire was under control, and firefighters were hosing down an adjacent building to be sure there was no further risk.

MORE:cbcNews