NEWS

Review looks at exposed asbestos in Saskatchewan long-term care facility

05/30/2012 11:05 EDT | Updated 07/30/2012 05:12 EDT
STRASBOURG, Sask. - The Saskatoon Health Region has received the results of an air quality test at the Last Mountain Pioneer Home in Strasbourg.

Six separate samples were taken as part of the testing and one showed asbestos but the level was well below the acceptable threshold.

Arrangements to discuss options for the safe remediation of any exposed asbestos are still ongoing and no decision has been made on what will be done.

Late last week, the health region learned that two employee-access areas of the Last Mountain Pioneer Home contained uncovered asbestos, after requesting a third-party asbestos review of the long term care facility.

Asbestos is common in older facilities throughout the province and country, but is often sealed or safely removed without any effects once it is discovered.

Officials say the probability that any residents or visitors were exposed is low.

(CJWW)

MORE:cpNews