UPDATE: Toronto Police have made an arrest in the Eaton Centre shooting. A tweet from the Toronto Police Twitter account said an arrest had been made and that there are "no further details at this time." A press conference is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET.
Police had said they believed they knew the identity of the man who went on the deadly shooting rampage Saturday evening.
Police say the man who died, 24-year-old Ahmed Hassan, is believed to have gang ties, although it's not yet known if Saturday's rampage was gang-related.
Hassan was shot several times in what police called a targeted attack, and not a random act of violence.
Of the six people wounded, two remain in hospital — a 13-year-old boy and a 23-year-old man. Both are listed in critical condition.
Officials say the Eaton Centre will reopen today for the first time since the shooting.
The food court, however, will stay closed until Tuesday.
Full story on the arrest and press conference, updated throughout the day.
TORONTO - The investigation into a deadly shooting rampage that set off a mass panic at the Toronto Eaton Centre focused Sunday on the shooter behind the brazen attack, as police and local authorities reassured the public that Toronto remains a safe city.
Police confirmed that Saturday's shooting at one of Canada's busiest shopping malls — which killed one and injured seven others — was a targeted act.
Investigators said the man who was killed — identified as Ahmed Hassan, 24, of Toronto — had known gang ties. At least one of the victims may also have gang connections, police said, but they had yet to determine if the shooting was gang-related.
"It may be that both of them have gang affiliations, or it may be just the one of them, but we do believe that our deceased in this case may have had some gang affiliation," said Det. Sgt. Brian Borg.
Police sounded confident they know the identity of the gunman, but did not elaborate, saying they did not want to influence first-hand accounts still pouring in a day after the attack.
Investigators were reviewing security video in their hunt for the shooter and interviewing witnesses who were among the hundreds of people in the downtown shopping mall when the gunfire erupted, causing panicked shoppers to charge toward the exit in a wild pandemonium.
Seven people suffered either gunshot wounds or injuries in the stampede. The most seriously injured was a 23-year-old man who suffered multiple gunshot wounds to his neck and chest. He remained in hospital in critical condition.
A 13-year-old boy who was visiting Toronto with his family suffered a gunshot wound to his head and remained in critical condition Sunday, though police said his injuries were no longer considered life-threatening.
The boy was speaking and responding well to treatment, they said.
Three other people suffered less serious gunshot wounds and were released from hospital.
A 28-year-old pregnant woman who was trampled as people rushed the exits was recovering in hospital, Borg said.
"That woman and her unborn child, I’m glad to say are doing well," he said.
The shooting happened just a block from where a Toronto teen was shot and killed more than six years ago.
Jane Creba, 15, was shopping with her mother and sister on the busy Yonge Street when she was caught in the crossfire of a shootout between rival gangs during the 2005 Christmas holiday.
Calling the shooting "disturbing" and "upsetting," Toronto Mayor Rob Ford said those responsible should be apprehended. He also urged the public to not lose faith in their city.
"This is a safe city and I want people to continue doing what they do every day: go out with their families, go shopping, have fun with their families."
Acting Deputy Chief Jeff McGuire shared that sentiment.
"One idiot with a gun on a Saturday afternoon in downtown Toronto does not speak to the state of the city ... please do not gauge the city on what we saw yesterday," McGuire told a news conference.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper joined the chorus of officials expressing their shock over the shooting, which he called a "depraved and monstrous" act.
"I offer my deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim, and wish a speedy recovery to those injured by this senseless act of violence," Harper said in a statement.
A makeshift memorial was set up outside the mall Sunday afternoon and several people stopped to leave messages of grief and sympathy.
Officers stood guard at the Eaton Centre's entrances throughout the day and police cruisers parked on the sidewalks blocked access to the doors.
Signs warned passersby that the mall would remain closed until further notice, but that did not seem to deter the usual Sunday afternoon crowds.
Many of those who ambled past seemed unaware of — or undisturbed by — the grisly events that unfolded inside. Some tried to walk in but were rebuffed by officers guarding the doors.
Among them were some who hoped to fetch items — purses, cellphones, keys, shoes — strewn aside Saturday in their scramble to safety. Police said they would make arrangements Monday to return the discarded objects.
Tourists, meanwhile, seemed fascinated by the scene, pausing to snap pictures even posing with the officers outside.
But people who work inside the shopping mall said the case has them on edge.
"It's a little bit nerve-racking," said Rachel Kennedy, who was two hours into her shift at the Gap on Saturday when someone ran into the store and reported hearing gunshots.
"I think I would feel a lot more unnerved if I had actually heard the gunshots go off, but I think people are on edge just because it's such a choice attraction ... and nobody really knows what the motivation was or what happened or anything like that as of yet," she said.
Recovering from the ordeal will likely be more difficult for food court employees, she said, adding: "I wouldn't want to go back to work down there."
Meanwhile, Carol Bigwood and her 10-year-old granddaughter Eden Everatt tried to make their way inside Sunday to pick up photos they had dropped off at Black's moments before the chaos broke out.
Bigwood said she was surprised to find her path blocked by officers.
"I thought it was going to be like when the subways are closed, that it would reopen... It's just a minor inconvenience," she said.
"I'm not too worried about going back in. I still think compared to other cities in the world, Toronto is very safe," she said.
Later on Sunday, police said the shopping mall, including retail stores and parking garages, will reopen for business on Monday.
The food court will remain closed until Tuesday.