UPDATE: Toronto Police have made an arrest in the Eaton Centre shooting. A tweet from the Toronto Police Twitter account said an arrest had been made and that there are "no further details at this time." A press conference is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET.

Police had said they believed they knew the identity of the man who went on the deadly shooting rampage Saturday evening.

Police say the man who died, 24-year-old Ahmed Hassan, is believed to have gang ties, although it's not yet known if Saturday's rampage was gang-related.

Hassan was shot several times in what police called a targeted attack, and not a random act of violence.

Of the six people wounded, two remain in hospital — a 13-year-old boy and a 23-year-old man. Both are listed in critical condition.

Officials say the Eaton Centre will reopen today for the first time since the shooting.

The food court, however, will stay closed until Tuesday.

Full story on the arrest and press conference, updated throughout the day.

Toronto Police
Shooting Update: An arrest has been made, no further details at this time. ^tb

TORONTO - The investigation into a deadly shooting rampage that set off a mass panic at the Toronto Eaton Centre focused Sunday on the shooter behind the brazen attack, as police and local authorities reassured the public that Toronto remains a safe city.

Police confirmed that Saturday's shooting at one of Canada's busiest shopping malls — which killed one and injured seven others — was a targeted act.

Read Our Live Blog

LOOK: Photos From The Scene

Investigators said the man who was killed — identified as Ahmed Hassan, 24, of Toronto — had known gang ties. At least one of the victims may also have gang connections, police said, but they had yet to determine if the shooting was gang-related.

"It may be that both of them have gang affiliations, or it may be just the one of them, but we do believe that our deceased in this case may have had some gang affiliation," said Det. Sgt. Brian Borg.

Police sounded confident they know the identity of the gunman, but did not elaborate, saying they did not want to influence first-hand accounts still pouring in a day after the attack.

Investigators were reviewing security video in their hunt for the shooter and interviewing witnesses who were among the hundreds of people in the downtown shopping mall when the gunfire erupted, causing panicked shoppers to charge toward the exit in a wild pandemonium.

Seven people suffered either gunshot wounds or injuries in the stampede. The most seriously injured was a 23-year-old man who suffered multiple gunshot wounds to his neck and chest. He remained in hospital in critical condition.

A 13-year-old boy who was visiting Toronto with his family suffered a gunshot wound to his head and remained in critical condition Sunday, though police said his injuries were no longer considered life-threatening.

The boy was speaking and responding well to treatment, they said.

Three other people suffered less serious gunshot wounds and were released from hospital.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman who was trampled as people rushed the exits was recovering in hospital, Borg said.

"That woman and her unborn child, I’m glad to say are doing well," he said.

The shooting happened just a block from where a Toronto teen was shot and killed more than six years ago.

Jane Creba, 15, was shopping with her mother and sister on the busy Yonge Street when she was caught in the crossfire of a shootout between rival gangs during the 2005 Christmas holiday.

Calling the shooting "disturbing" and "upsetting," Toronto Mayor Rob Ford said those responsible should be apprehended. He also urged the public to not lose faith in their city.

"This is a safe city and I want people to continue doing what they do every day: go out with their families, go shopping, have fun with their families."

Acting Deputy Chief Jeff McGuire shared that sentiment.

"One idiot with a gun on a Saturday afternoon in downtown Toronto does not speak to the state of the city ... please do not gauge the city on what we saw yesterday," McGuire told a news conference.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper joined the chorus of officials expressing their shock over the shooting, which he called a "depraved and monstrous" act.

"I offer my deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim, and wish a speedy recovery to those injured by this senseless act of violence," Harper said in a statement.

A makeshift memorial was set up outside the mall Sunday afternoon and several people stopped to leave messages of grief and sympathy.

Officers stood guard at the Eaton Centre's entrances throughout the day and police cruisers parked on the sidewalks blocked access to the doors.

Signs warned passersby that the mall would remain closed until further notice, but that did not seem to deter the usual Sunday afternoon crowds.

Many of those who ambled past seemed unaware of — or undisturbed by — the grisly events that unfolded inside. Some tried to walk in but were rebuffed by officers guarding the doors.

Among them were some who hoped to fetch items — purses, cellphones, keys, shoes — strewn aside Saturday in their scramble to safety. Police said they would make arrangements Monday to return the discarded objects.

Tourists, meanwhile, seemed fascinated by the scene, pausing to snap pictures even posing with the officers outside.

But people who work inside the shopping mall said the case has them on edge.

"It's a little bit nerve-racking," said Rachel Kennedy, who was two hours into her shift at the Gap on Saturday when someone ran into the store and reported hearing gunshots.

"I think I would feel a lot more unnerved if I had actually heard the gunshots go off, but I think people are on edge just because it's such a choice attraction ... and nobody really knows what the motivation was or what happened or anything like that as of yet," she said.

Recovering from the ordeal will likely be more difficult for food court employees, she said, adding: "I wouldn't want to go back to work down there."

Meanwhile, Carol Bigwood and her 10-year-old granddaughter Eden Everatt tried to make their way inside Sunday to pick up photos they had dropped off at Black's moments before the chaos broke out.

Bigwood said she was surprised to find her path blocked by officers.

"I thought it was going to be like when the subways are closed, that it would reopen... It's just a minor inconvenience," she said.

"I'm not too worried about going back in. I still think compared to other cities in the world, Toronto is very safe," she said.

Later on Sunday, police said the shopping mall, including retail stores and parking garages, will reopen for business on Monday.
The food court will remain closed until Tuesday.

Related on HuffPost:

Video courtesy of TJ, Twitvid

live blog

Oldest Newest

The Toronto Star has spoken with accused gunman Christopher Husbands' father, Burchell Husbands, who says he is scared his family will face relation from gang members.

“Right now the whole family’s scared,” he told the Star. “We don’t know who’s going to come here just now.”

According to Husbands, his son became involved in Regent Park gangs as a teenageer and recently survived an attack that left him with 20 stab wounds.

Read the full story at the Toronto Star.

Share this:

Toronto Police have released a photo of Ahmed Hassan, the 24-year-old man killed at the Eaton Centre.

ahmed hassan eaton centre shooting

Police have also posted a transcript of their statement from today's press conference here.

Share this:

The man killed in the Eaton Centre shooting was facing charges in Fort McMurray, Alta. for drug trafficking, reports the CBC.

Hassan was charged with trafficking cocaine in January 2010 along with five others.

CBC also reports that Hassan was a suspect in the murder of one of his co-accused.

Read the full article on CBC News.

Share this:

Christopher Husbands made his first court appearance today, reports the Globe and Mail.

Husbands, 23, is charged with one count of murder and six counts of attempted murder.

There are also reports of a gun being fired downtown just a few hours before the Eaton Centre shooting in the Alexanda Park neighbourhood, reports the Globe:

Mike Spicer said he heard gunshots and saw a man running east -- in the direction of the Eaton Centre -- while holding a gun. The man was running toward Spadina on a street several blocks south of College Street, Mr. Spicer said.

“We heard three shots fired, and we just said, ‘Oh, it sounds like a gun,’” he said. “And all three of us looked that were in the car and there was a guy running down the street toward us with a gun.”

He said the man was holding a handgun in his right hand as he ran. He described him as black and said he was wearing a grey hoodie and loose-fitting black jeans.

Police have so far declined to comment on reports of the Spadina-area shooting.

Councillor Adam Vaughan said it’s not clear how, or if, the two incidents are related. “For a while it looked like the two were directly connected, but they are part of the same issue we’ve been managing, or trying to manage, without any resources,” he said. “But it’s unclear now how intricately the two are related.”

Read the full story on the Globe's website.

Share this:
@ acoyne : Cops say suspect had just got out of jail (5 yrs) for crimes related to 2005 "Summer of Gun." http://t.co/S5mAvv2x

Share this:

"It's been a terrible couple of days," said Toronto Mayor Rob Ford at the press conference, repeating that he believes Toronto is the safest city in the world.

In response to a media question about city youth outreach, he said that he doesn't "think we need more youth workers. Proof is in the pudding, crime is going down every year."

Share this:

Det. Sgt Borg: "I do not believe this to be a gang-motivated shooting."

He added, "I believe there's personal aspects involved."

Share this:

Det. Sgt. Brian Borg has confirmed that 23-year-old Christopher Husbands of Toronto will be charged with one account of first degree murder and six accounts attempted murder.

Husbands surrendered to police at 2:20 a.m. last night with his lawyer present. He was under house arrest at the time of the shooting.

The autopsy of Ahmed Hassan was completed yesterday and the official cause of death is gun shot injuries.

The 23-year-old man still in hospital with neck and chest remains in critical condition.

The 13-year-old boy "continues to improve" and Det. Sgt. Borg says he is "extremely happy to report that both he and his family are doing well in spite of all that they have endured."

Share this:
@ TorontoPolice : Anyone with photo/video from shooting homicide at Eaton Centre is asked to send it to TPS Homcide via http://t.co/uQqXmfbS ~wd

Share this:
@ dwightdrummond : In an hour Toronto police will identify Christopher Husbands as the suspect in the Eaton Centre shooting.

Share this:
@ thekeenanwire : A bouquet left in the empty Eaton Centre food court. http://t.co/2FVjiPX3

Share this:
@ kimberlyviv : In the Eaton Centre... Urban Eatery is dead... So weird to see it that way.

Share this:
@ KatieSimpson24 : I'm told the Eaton Centre shooting suspect is either in his 20s or very early 30s. Further arrests are not expected. Full details coming up

Share this:
@ MarinaStrauss : Scene of the crime @ eaton centre. Pple staring down at fOod court in disbelief. Closed today. Reopening tomorrow http://t.co/7VnPhm3n

Share this:

The suspect in the shooting case turned himself into police last night at 2:30 a.m., accompanied by his lawyer reports the Globe and Mail.

Toronto Police will be providing an update on the suspect this afternoon.

Share this:
@ globeandmail : Torontonians remain unafraid in wake of Eaton Centre shooting http://t.co/1Cd0Cofi (from @globetoronto)

Share this:

Nick Kalakonis, 22, was hit in the thigh by a bullet, but considers himself lucky his injuries ended there.

"I feel grateful that I’m alive," he told the CBC. Read the full story here.

Share this:
@ globeandmail : Relatives of Eaton Centre shooting victims share their views on Toronto http://t.co/kcBa21bX (from @globetoronto)

Share this:
@ globeandmail : Stephen Harper and Dalton McGuinty respond to the Eaton Centre shooting http://t.co/Y1CVFTWh

Share this:
@ HiMYSYeD : Message written on Eaton Centre Door. #EatonCentreShooting #Toronto http://t.co/3yKMfaru

eaton centre shooting vigil

Share this:

Thirteen-year-old boy who suffered the most serious injury in the Eaton Centre shooting showing "signs of improvement," according to the National Post. Infographic details all known facts about the victims.

Share this:
@ Usualsuspectguy : At the vigil for the Eaton Centre shooting that happened yesterday taking place at Younge & Dundas Sq http://t.co/b4B1JjW4

eaton centre shooting vigil

Share this:
@ CBCharlsie : Crowd at Eaton Centre vigil has grown #sl http://t.co/NJWTJvpd

Share this:

A vigil for the Eaton Centre shooting victims will take place at Yonge-Dundas Square at 6 p.m.

The Facebook page advertising the vigil reads:

"On June 2, a horrible event happened in Toronto. Someone went into one of the city's favourite places, and decided to open fire. They killed one person, injured a few more, and the resulting chaos resulted in two more injured.

This is not Toronto."

Share this:
@ stephaniesmyth : #Toronto #EatonCentre to re-open for business tomorrow; however food court - scene of fatal #Mallshooting - to remain closed until Tuesday.

Share this:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford began his Sunday afternoon radio show with a statement on the Eaton Centre shooting.

"Every heart in Toronto was torn last night, as we all learned about the horrible tragedy that resulted from a senseless, cowardly crime," he said. Read the full statement on Blogs.canoe.ca.

Share this:

Both Toronto Police and Mayor Rob Ford are stressing that this is an isolated incident and Toronto is still a safe city.

"This is one very large horrific event, but it's not the state of the city of Toronto, it's an isolated incident," said deputy chief Jeff McGuire. "Please do not gauge the city on what we saw yesterday."

Ford called Toronto the "safest city in the world" and encouraged people to "go downtown, enjoy themselves, go out with their family, continue to live as they do."

Share this:

Police are releasing very few details about the investigation, only that the abundance of security cameras has proved "extremely fruitful" for investigators.

They are asking anyone who was at or around the Eaton Centre at the time of the shooting and has any information to call the homicide squad or Crimestoppers.

Anyone with photos or video from the scene are especially being urged to aid police in their investigation. Det. Sgt. Borg said police will release more details tomorrow on how witnesses can send in photos and video.

Share this:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford described yesterday's shooting as "very upsetting as the mayor and as a father. It wasn't a good day yesterday."

Ford is confident that the shooter will be caught.

"We will apprehend the suspect, I guarantee it," he said. "We're not going to tolerate this in our city and we will make an arrest."

Share this:

At a press conference, Det. Sgt. Brian Borg confirmed that the police believe they have identified the shooter, but have not released any details on their identity. As well, police say there is a possible gang connection as at least one of the victims has know gang ties.

"Our investigation clearly suggests this is a targeted shooting and not a random act of violence," said Det. Sgt. Borg.

He said police have not ruled out that there was a second target among the victims.

Share this:

Loading Slideshow...
  • Flowers lie at the door as a member of a cleaning crew is pictured in the empty foyer of Toronto's Eaton Centre on Sunday, June 3, 2012. Police continue to investigate the Saturday's shooting which resulted in one death and seven injuries. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

  • Members of a cleaning crew are pictured in the window of Toronto's Eaton Centre on Sunday, June 3, 2012. Police continue to investigate the Saturday's shooting which resulted in one death and seven injuries. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

  • A police officer is pictured in the empty foyer of Toronto's Eaton Centre, as a colleague and his police cruiser is reflected in the window, on Sunday, June 3, 2012. Police continue to investigate the Saturday's shooting which resulted in one death and seven injuries. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young


    Toronto police order bystanders to clear a path so EMS can move the injured to transport. (Brian Trinh)

  • A male gunshot victim lies on the floor at the Urban Eatery food court in Toronto's Eaton Centre as EMS tends to his wounds. (Brian Trinh)

  • A female victim lies on the second floor at the Eaton Centre as EMS tends to her injuries. (Brian Trinh)

  • Male gunshot victim lies on the floor at the Urban Eatery food court in Toronto's Eaton Centre. (Brian Trinh)

  • Mall security officers escort workers during the chaos. (Brian Trinh)

  • Toronto police seal off entrances to the Eaton Centre to conduct their interior search. (Brian Trinh)

  • The intersection of Yonge and Dundas was blocked off while Toronto police conducted their search for the shooter. (Brian Trinh)

  • The scene outside the Queen Street entrance of the Eaton Centre on Saturday, June 2, 2012. (Brian Trinh)

  • Toronto Mayor Rob Ford watches the activity outside the Eaton Centre in Toronto, Saturday, June 2, 2012. A shooting that sparked mass panic at Toronto's Eaton Centre killed one person Saturday and injured seven others. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Victor Biro

Loading Slideshow...
  • Ahmed Ali

  • BlissDom Canada

  • Kyle Brown

  • John Granic

  • nordiclw0

  • Brett Lawrie

  • Justin Kozuch

  • Geoff Sharpe

  • CityNews Toronto

  • CP24


  • Thomas Patrick

  • AM640