Shoppers who fled the fatal shooting in the Toronto Eaton Centre were able Tuesday to retrieve purses, cell phones and other belongings that they left behind in Saturday's rush to safety.
Dozens of people travelled to 51 Division on Parliament Street in the city's core to get their belongings, including Annita Kim, who came to pick up the stroller she abandoned when she fled with her three small children.
Kim ran from the mall's food court into a washroom with the children, including her six-week-old baby.
"My instincts were to get the kids out of danger," she said.
Lisa Bacchus left her cell phone in the food court, but it wasn't at the police station. Police said it may have been collected as evidence, or stolen.
Others managed to retrieve things like shopping bags and jackets.
Police are advising people to bring a receipt if they're claiming something they purchased along with a piece of photo ID.
The Eaton Centre food court — the scene of the shooting that left one man dead and six others wounded — reopened on Tuesday morning.
Most people said they weren't concerned about their safety, confident that it was an isolated incident and that there was adequate security present.
Mayor Rob Ford made an appearance, saying he wanted to show people that it's safe "to come down here, enjoy a lunch, enjoy your dinner and carry on with your life."
The rest of the mall reopened on Monday, and all of the cars that were locked in the centre's parking garage have been returned to their owners.
Outside the mall, people continue to add to a makeshift memorial that includes Post-it notes showing sympathy and support for victims and the city.
Christopher Husbands, 23, turned himself in to police and has been charged with one count of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder.
Husbands had been under house arrest for a previous charge.
Police said they are still hoping for video or images from the public. They can be uploaded to the Toronto police website.
Suggest a correction