NEWS

Fugitive nabbed after Toronto manhunt faces 25 charges

06/08/2012 08:28 EDT | Updated 08/08/2012 05:12 EDT

Nicholas Dillion-Jack, the fugitive who CBC News has learned belongs to the same Toronto gang as the alleged Eaton Centre shooter, has been arrested and charged with 25 firearm and assault-related counts.

Members of the police guns and gangs unit took Dillion-Jack, 18, into custody without incident Friday morning at a Howard Johnson hotel near Warden Avenue and Highway 401 in Scarborough at about 4:30 a.m. ET.

He appeared briefly in a Toronto court on Friday afternoon and was remanded into custody.

"We're very relieved that he's in custody and off the streets," said Det.-Sgt. Scott Spratt.

"Sometimes these investigations take some time and when you're balancing, you know, public safety with the needs of the investigation, they often take time and we're happy that he's now in custody."

On Thursday afternoon, police descended on a stretch of Kingston Road in east-end Toronto searching for him.

Dillion-Jack was wanted in connection with a stabbing in Kensington Market last month.

Suspected in Alexandra Park shooting

CBC News has learned he is also the prime suspect in two recent shooting incidents that targeted residents of the nearby Alexandra Park housing complex, in which bullets struck trees and pierced a window.

Thursday’s search effort for Dillion-Jack in the quiet, residential streets of the Upper Beach area lasted about two hours and involved the emergency task force.

During the manhunt, 15 area schools were placed under a hold and secure order while police searched for the suspect.

The CBC’s John Lancaster reported Thursday that police believe Dillion-Jack is an associate of a Regent Park street gang known as the Sic Thugz, which has rivals in Alexandra Park.

Police believe the man charged in the shooting at the Eaton Centre last Saturday, Christopher Husbands, is also a member of the Sic Thugz. Husbands, charged with one count of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder, is set to appear in court, related to the Eaton Centre incident, on Aug. 15.

Const. Tony Vella said Friday he wasn't going to confirm whether Dillion-Jack had any gang connections. He also said there's no evidence to indicate Dillion-Jack had anything to do with the Eaton Centre shooting, which left 24-year-old Ahmed Hassan dead and six others wounded.

Sources tell CBC News that one victim of the Eaton Centre shooting — who also had ties to Sic Thugz — is not expected to survive. His brother was given a pass from prison to visit him in hospital.

Husbands, Hassan and a 23-year-old man who was wounded were all part of the same gang, police say,

Police have confirmed that Husbands, Hassan and one of the wounded men were all in the same gang. Police have also stressed that despite this link, police don't think the gang affiliation was a factor in the shooting.

Dillion-Jack has been charged with:

- Discharging a firearm with intent to endanger life.

- Careless use of a firearm.

- Unauthorized possession of a firearm.

- Three counts of pointing a firearm.

- Aggravated assault.

- Assault with a weapon.

- Three counts of possession of dangerous weapons.

- Carrying a concealed weapon.

- Threatening death.

- Forcible entry.

- Forcible confinement.

- Assault.

- Two counts of assault with a weapon.

- Assault causing bodily harm.

- Possession of a prohibited weapon.

- Using firearm to commit indictable offence.

- Robbery while armed with a firearm.

- Carrying a concealed weapon.

- Two counts of mischief under $5,000.

MORE:cbcNews