POLITICS

Petroworth confident Cape Breton drilling permit will be extended

06/08/2012 09:06 EDT | Updated 08/08/2012 05:12 EDT
HALIFAX - The president of Petroworth Resources Inc., says he's confident an extension will be granted for the company's exploratory drilling permit in Cape Breton.

Neal Mednick says the Toronto-based company is still waiting for a decision on its application from Nova Scotia's Energy Department.

The company's permit to drill an oil and gas test well in the Lake Ainslie area expires July 15.

Mednick says the company wants to do the work in September or October so as not to disturb residents during the summer.

He also says they want to see what comes out of discussions they've had with a number of potential partners for the project.

An Energy Department spokeswoman said last week she was not sure when a decision would be made.

Meanwhile, an environmental group opposed to the drilling will take its fight to the Nova Scotia Supreme Court later this month.

The Margaree Environmental Association has said it will file an injunction to stop drilling if it starts before the June 27 court date.

(CIGO)