SPORTS

Canadian diver Alexandre Despatie recovering well after training accident

06/15/2012 11:12 EDT | Updated 08/15/2012 05:12 EDT
MONTREAL - Canadian diver Alexandre Despatie's recovery is on track after a training accident earlier this week in Spain.

He was preparing for this weekend's Grand Prix when he struck his head on the board Tuesday afternoon. He suffered a 10-centimetre cut just below the hairline and underwent surgery the following morning to close the wound.

The medical team said the scar is healing well and there has been no sign of infection, according to a statement released Friday by Diving Canada.

A series of neurological tests showed that Despatie did not suffer a concussion, the statement said.

Despatie, a two-time Olympic silver medallist from Laval, Que., is expected to return home in the coming days. It will be at least three weeks before he can start training again.

He's still hopeful that he'll be able to compete at the London Olympics.

Despatie, 27, was performing an inward three-and-a-half dive when he lost his balance upon takeoff. His head hit on the end of the springboard.

On Wednesday, Diving Canada chief technical officer Geller told The Canadian Press that Despatie suffered a mild concussion, but then said later during a conference call with media "there doesn't seem to be any concern of any lasting effects regarding a concussion right now.''

When contacted that day in Spain, coach Arturo Miranda said "we are proceeding like he has a minor one.''

Once he returns home, Despatie will be monitored by a local doctor and supported by his training team, which has developed a program to monitor his progress and determine the next steps for his recovery.

MORE:cpSports