The Vancouver police and fire departments are warning residents about the risk of arson fires being set in alleys and dumpsters.
Officials say the arson danger increases as the days get longer and the weather gets warmer, and they're asking residents to help prevent fires from occurring in their neighbourhoods.
Police and fire investigators say they attend arson fires that are lit using debris left outside of garages and homes.
Officials are warning residents to take the following precautions:
- Report all suspicious activity or people to police immediately through 911.
- Install motion detector lights at the rear of homes.
- Keep yards and laneways tidy.
- Don’t put garbage or recycling containers out until the morning of pick-up.
- Don’t leave or store old mattresses and furniture in backyards, carports or laneways.
- Dispose of garden trimmings promptly.
- Store all flammable materials safely and out of sight