NEWS

Canadian behind Windsor-Detroit fireworks display

06/25/2012 10:17 EDT | Updated 08/25/2012 05:12 EDT
A Canadian is the man behind Monday's international fireworks display over the Detroit River.

Quebec-born choreographer Patrick Brault began in the industry “as a grunt, digging trenches” for shows in Quebec. He said he was looking for two months of outdoor work “to get a tan.”

Now, he’s one of the world’s foremost choreographers. He designed this year's show in Windsor-Detroit.

“It’s one of the most known fireworks shows in North America,” Brault said . "There’s not many – other than the Macy’s show in New York – bigger shows.”

He said this year’s show has a few surprises and fireworks from Spain.

He said it was a little more challenging because he was given the 22-minute soundtrack first and asked to design a show around the music. He also said the music didn’t lend itself to a finale he’s used to.

“It won’t be a traditional finale like people are used to,” he said.

Brault called the soundtrack “very American.” It features Michael Jackson, Broadway show tunes and rock.

“It’s all over the place,” he said.

Monday’s show is scheduled to begin at 10:06 p.m. The weather is expected to be clear and about 20 Celsius with zero chance of rain when the show gets underway.

Parade Company says show will go on

The Detroit Parade Company, organizer of the annual fireworks display over the Detroit River, has promised the show will go on for years to come.

“Next week, we’ll evaluate the show ... and work on a new show for next year,” said Steve Abood, the communications manager of the parade company.

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing had previously hinted the show may be in jeopardy because the city could no longer afford the cost of security.

In a statement issued Friday, the mayor sounded more confident.

“I am working collaboratively on a regional events plan that will ensure the ongoing success of our regional events, including the Parade Company-produced Target Fireworks and America’s Thanksgiving Parade,” he said. “I have every confidence that our plan and strategy to provide the necessary funding with the support of the private sector will work. We continue to hold meetings with my administration, business leaders, and potential sponsors to push forward my plan for regional support and participation.”

However, Abood said Target, the show’s major corporate sponsor, hasn’t signed on for 2013.

“Nothing’s signed yet. But we’re looking forward to the show next year and making it happen for Canada and the U.S.,” he said. “We’re 100 per cent confident. Being such a long-standing tradition and a great kickoff to the summer, we’re absolutely confident we can get a plan together that we know will sustain this.”

MORE:cbcNews