Producers unveiled a list of 20 names heading to the next stage and whittled down from the masses who attended auditions across Canada in recent weeks.
The 20 contestants vying to appear on the CBC talent series are:
- Malindi Ayienga, Etobicoke, ON
- Michelle Bouey, Charlottetown, PEI
- AJ Bridel, Kitchener, ON
- Alessandra Cannito, Toronto, ON
- Rebecca Codas, Toronto, ON
- Sarah Forestieri, Nobleton, ON
- Colleen Furlan, Winnipeg, MB
- Julia Gartha, Unionville, ON
- Jennifer Gillis, Coquitlam, B.C.
- Cassandra Hodgins, London, ON
- Stephanie La Rochelle, Ottawa, ON
- Lia Luz, Scarborough, ON
- Fiona McIntyre, Port Moody, BC
- Jessie Munro, Toronto, ON
- Tevra Plamondon, Red Deer, AB
- Emily Robertson, Milford Station, NS
- Christie Stewart, Vernon, BC
- Michelle Thibodeau, Moncton, NB
- Kelsey Verzotti, Calgary, AB
- Danielle Wade, La Salle, ON
The young performers will spend the summer training at a musical theatre boot camp to hone their singing, dancing and acting skills. The goal is to be one of 10 contestants to compete live on television this fall on the Over the Rainbow broadcasts.
The winner will star in a forthcoming Mirvish-Andrew Lloyd Webber production of The Wizard of Oz, slated to open in Toronto in December.
A triumph in the TV competition can help launch the winner's career. In 2008, budding actress Elicia Mackenzie nabbed the lead role of Maria for a Toronto production of The Sound of Music by winning the CBC reality series How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? She went onto roles in We Will Rock You and Rock of Ages.Suggest a correction