NEWS

Search for men presumed drowned to resume Monday

07/01/2012 01:17 EDT | Updated 08/31/2012 05:12 EDT
An Ottawa police dive team has ended a search and recovery mission for two bodies in the Deschênes Rapids this afternoon.

The search, which was called off at about 3 p.m. ET Sunday, was expected to resume Monday, police said.

Two young men, 21 and 26 years old, were last seen walking far out into the rapids at about 11:30 p.m. ET on Saturday night.

A passerby tried to save the men, who couldn't swim, but the current was too strong and fast. They are presumed drowned.

Police said alcohol appears to be a factor.

The two young people had been out with friends Saturday night.

Their names are not being released at the request of their families.

MORE:cbcNews