NEWS

More impaired drivers caught in Vancouver

07/09/2012 10:46 EDT | Updated 09/08/2012 05:12 EDT
Vancouver police say they're shocked at the number of impaired drivers they pulled off the road this past weekend — 50-per- cent more than the same weekend one year ago.

“It appears people are still not getting it,” Const. Lindsey Houghton told a Vancouver news conference Monday, as he held up what he said was a stack of seized drivers’ licences.

"These are 68 drivers’ licenses from people given immediate roadside suspensions on Friday and Saturday night," said Houghton.

Houghton said police used the same number of roadblocks as they set up in 2011, with the same number of officers working them for the same number of hours.

But after administering 416 roadside tests, about one in six drivers failed, he said. Houghton said violators were from a variety of ethnic groups, both male and female, and ranged in age from teenagers to people in their 60s.

But police say they were disturbed by the number of young, new drivers had been drinking too much and driving.

“In same time period last year, we took one new driver off the road for a 12 hour suspension. This year in that same time — 25," Houghton said.

The summer roadblock campaign will continue until September.

MORE:cbcNews