1. Have your child wear sunglasses whenever outdoors.
2. Have your child wear a wide-brimmed hat or baseball cap when outdoors.
3. Keep children out of direct sunlight between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when the sun's rays are strongest.
4. When buying sunglasses, choose a close-fitting, wrap around style frame with 100 percent UVA and UVB blocking lenses.
5. Wear safety sports glasses for outdoor activities.
Source: Dr. Surjinder Sahota, president of the British Columbia Association of Optometrists.Suggest a correction