MONTREAL - Concordia University says more than $70,000 has been raised so far in the name of slain Chinese student Jun Lin.

The money will go to provide financial assistance for his family's immediate needs as well as to benefit Chinese students at the Montreal university.

The 33-year-old Lin was killed in late May and his body was dismembered.

His parents are currently in Canada and have said they want to stay until a trial is held for their son's alleged killer, Luka Rocco Magnotta.

Magnotta has pleaded not guilty to various charges, including first-degree murder. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for next March.

A public service to honour Lin is set to take place in Montreal tomorrow morning.

Related on HuffPost:

Loading Slideshow...
  • Members of the Chinese community hold a candlelight vigil for Jun Lin, whose dismembered body was found last month, in Montreal Thursday, June 14, 2012. People held candles and lit incense tonight in a downtown park to remember the victim of one of Canada's most gruesome crime. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

  • Members of the Chinese community hold a candlelight vigil for Jun Lin, whose dismembered body was found last month, in Montreal Thursday, June 14, 2012 in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson