POLITICS

Saskatchewan government says money for Metis election is unlikely

07/25/2012 09:20 EDT | Updated 09/24/2012 05:12 EDT
LA RONGE, Sask. - It appears the Metis Nation of Saskatchewan's bid to get provincial funding for its September election is going to be rejected.

The last election in 2007 received funding from the previous NDP government.

The money was used to help pay for an independent oversight committee after a controversial Metis election in 2004.

But Metis Relations Minister Jim Reiter says it's not likely the Saskatchewan Party government will put any money toward this year's vote.

MNS president Robert Doucette is still hopeful the federal government will come through with some money.

The Metis election was originally scheduled to happen in late May, but it was postponed to Sept. 8 after a judge ruled the validity of the previously scheduled vote could be challenged in court.

(MBC)