POLITICS

Nova Scotia premier puts the breaks on idea of Crown-owned bus service

08/21/2012 02:22 EDT | Updated 10/21/2012 05:12 EDT
HALIFAX - Nova Scotia Premier Darrell Dexter says the province isn't in the business of running a bus company.

Dexter says there's no interest in launching a Crown-owned service to take the place of Acadian Coach Lines when it ceases operations on Nov. 30.

The company currently provides intercity bus service throughout the Maritimes.

There have been calls for a publicly funded regional service to pick up the slack and earlier this month, Nova Scotia Transportation Minister Maurice Smith said he was looking at all options.

But Dexter says he wants to see a company come forward with a proposal that's sustainable and profitable.

P.E.I.'s Transportation Minister Robert Vessey and his counterpart in New Brunswick, Claude Williams, have both said that any solution lies in opening up private sector competition.