NEWS

PQ's Réjean Hébert faces recount of vote results

09/11/2012 07:08 EDT | Updated 11/11/2012 05:12 EST
One of the Parti Québécois's star candidates in the recent provincial election will face a recount of the votes in the riding that he narrowly won.

A Quebec Court judge granted a request Tuesday for a recount in the Eastern Townships electoral district of Saint-François, where the PQ's Réjean Hébert defeated Liberal candidate Nathalie Goguen by just 110 votes last week.

Goguen's application for a recount says she believes some ballots were improperly rejected while others that were counted shouldn't have been. She also says a count the morning after the election at one poll in particular shows Hébert was awarded 50 extra votes.

The entire riding had 574 rejected ballots, or 1.3 per cent of those cast — a rate that's in keeping with the provincial average.

The recount is expected to start Thursday and will take three to four days.

Hébert, a physician and the former dean of medicine at the University of Sherbrooke, has been touted as a possible PQ health minister.

A separate request for a recount in the riding of La Prairie on Montreal's South Shore will be heard Wednesday. There, PQ candidate Pierre Langlois is challenging his loss to CAQ candidate Stéphane Le Bouyonnec. Langlois lost by 81 votes.

MORE:cbcNews