Avarie Edwards, Chilliwack Toddler, Recovers From Crockpot Burns

Posted: Updated:
Print Article

avarie edwards
Avarie Edwards looks at her mom during treatment in hospital. (Facebook)

CHILLIWACK, B.C. - An 11-month-old Chilliwack, B.C., girl is facing a long and slow recovery after a tragic accident in the kitchen of her Fraser Valley home.

The tot has second degree burns to her face and body after pulling a full crockpot off a counter, covering herself with the scalding contents.

The 21-year-old mother of Avarie Edwards says the cord from the pot had been tucked in, but after the cooker was moved to another counter the baby was able to grab the dangling cord.

Avarie has now been released from ICU at Children's Hospital but must return every three days for burn baths and painful dressing changes.

Chilliwack residents have rallied to help the family by donating money and goods and organizing a fund-raiser at a local pub on Oct. 5.

Avarie's mom, Tia, says the support is overwhelming and any money or donations that she doesn't immediately need are being forwarded to Children's Hospital as a thank you for Avarie's outstanding care. (News1130)

Also on HuffPost:

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

Toddler is safe after car chase through Oakland County

Toddler safe, driver arrested after high speed chase with police

Water safety experts in discord over infants, toddlers

Blind Xpress and CPSC recall window blinds after Michigan toddler was ...

Pool safety reminder after Tamarac toddler drowns in pool as family members ...

Toddler hurt by oven cleaner

Gun Safety an Issue after Local Toddler Accidentally Kills Himself

York toddler who died in playground was on her first day at nursery