NEWS

Deal reached to move power plant to eastern Ontario

09/24/2012 12:21 EDT | Updated 11/24/2012 05:12 EST
The Liberal government has reached a deal to move the cancelled gas-fired generating station in Oakville to eastern Ontario.

Energy Minister Chris Bentley told the legislature the total unrecoverable cost for moving the Oakville energy project to the Lennox generating facility in Napanee will be $40 million.

Bentley made the announcement just before the government was to release up to 100,000 documents on two cancelled power plants in Okaville and Mississauga.

Speaker Dave Levac had given the Liberal government until Monday to turn over the documents, which were requested months ago by a legislative committee.

The Liberals had admitted earlier that it would cost taxpayers $190 million for their campaign team's decision to halt construction on the Mississauga power plant just days before last October's election.

But they had balked at turning over documents on the cancelled Oakville project until they reached a deal with project's developer.

The Opposition has called the decisions to cancel the gas plants "a Liberal seat-saver program," and says holding seats in the suburban area west of Toronto was crucial to the government's re-election.

Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak says his party will proceed with a motion to declare Energy Minister Chris Bentley in contempt of the legislature because the Liberals tried to "cover up" the cost of cancelling the two gas plants.

The New Democrats joined with the Tories to refuse the Liberals' request for a six-week extension on today's deadline for the release of the documents.

MORE:cbcNews