The last thing anyone wants to do is put their head between their legs and inspect the colour of their poop. But guess what? It's not a bad idea.

According to an infographic created by, our poop is made up of 75 per cent water, while the other 25 per cent is a mix of fibre, dead bacteria and a mixture of fats, inorganic salts, dead cells, mucus and live bacteria.

But if that last sentence grossed you out, it shouldn't. Fecal matter is the natural process in our bodies to ensure that our digestive systems are functioning and our body is getting rid of unwanted waste. On average, there is no "normal" number for the average person's bowel movements. Your routine depends on your diet, and some people may go every day at the same time, while others just go when they need to, according to an article in Everyday Health.

Story Continues Below: Also: 7 Reasons Your Poop May Change Colour:

Loading Slideshow...
  • Chocolate Brown Tone

    Milk chocolate-coloured poop (the "normal" colour) is caused by bilirubin, a pigment that's a result of the breakdown of red blood cells in your body.

  • A Tint Of Green

    If you see any green in your poop, it could be thanks to your consumption of leafy, green vegetables.

  • Tint Of Red

    If you see any red in your poop, you may want to go check in with your family doctor. Reddish poop can be caused by bleeding in the lower digestive tract or rectum.

  • Hint Of Blue

    Seeing blue? Blue in your poop could be a result of eating foods with too much blue food colouring, while in babies, blue poop usually means an illness in the body.

  • Hint Of Yellow

    If you see any yellow in your poop, again, check in with your doctor. Yellow could indicate an <a href="">infection in the small intestine called giardia. </a>

  • Tints Of White Or Clear

    If your poop looks white or has a clear-like substance, it could be because of the lack of bile in your body.

  • Dark Brown Colour

    This could indicate bleeding in the upper digestive track.

Dr. Oz says pooping should occur 20 hours after you finish eating a meal (to test it out, eat beets and see if your poop changes colour). But if you are going less than three times a week, you should probably consider adding more fibre into your diet or see your family doctor for more help.

The graphic also has interesting poop facts, including why our poop smells foul (bacteria-producing compounds enriched in sulfur and nitrogen), and why some foods like corn kernels are indigestible and often just end up in our toilet bowls.

Click the graphic to see a larger image:
Facts About Poop

SEE: 10 foods to make you "go":

Loading Slideshow...
  • Prunes

    One of the most common home remedies for constipation are dried prunes. They are are rich in<a href="" target="_hplink"> fibre, vitamin A and potassium </a>-- and also taste great as a juice.

  • Pears

    Pears are considered to be <a href="" target="_hplink"> natural laxatives and can ease the movement of stool</a> through the intestines.

  • Broccoli

    Most of us know that broccoli has an endless list of health benefits -- being a <a href="" target="_hplink">super source of fibre </a>is just one of them.

  • Flaxseeds

    Flaxseeds (not in oil form) is another natural way to make you go. Flax is full of fibre and is rich in<a href="" target="_hplink"> omega-3 fatty acids. </a>

  • Carrots

    Carrots alone won't make you go to the bathroom. Full of fibre, raw carrots that are part of a healthy <a href="" target="_hplink">fibre-filled diet can improve your stool movement. </a>Remember, eat them raw. Cooked carrots can<a href="" target="_hplink"> lead to constipation. </a>

  • Beans

    "Beans, beans, the musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot." Everything about this quote is right, eating <a href="" target="_hplink">beans can help you avoid constipation and maintain a healthy digestive system. </a>

  • Peaches

    Eaten both dried or fresh, peaches are not only in season, but are also packed with fibre.

  • Pineapple

    You've heard it and its true. Pineapple juice is a great way to regulate your digestive system and <a href="" target="_hplink">avoid constipation in the first place. </a>

  • Fig

    Another great source of fibre, figs can make your <a href="" target="_hplink">stool softer for easier digestion. </a>

  • Whole Grains

    Opting for <a href="" target="_hplink">whole grain breads, oatmeal and bran cereal </a>are easy ways to fill your body up with fibre.

Also on HuffPost: