LAVAL, Que. - A powerful Quebec mayor brushed aside a request for his resignation Friday after police raided his home amid the province's ever-widening corruption scandal.

Gilles Vaillancourt, the mayor of Quebec's third-largest municipality, this week became the most prominent politician targeted by raids from the provincial anti-corruption squad.

He was not charged with any crime and said he will not resign.

"What I'm experiencing today is a shock," said the Laval, Que., mayor one day after 70 officers from the province's anti-corruption squad started to sift through his affairs.

"It was totally unforeseen and I can affirm that it is not a very pleasant situation."

Media reports on Friday evening indicated that police raided a second home owned by Vaillancourt, also in Laval.

Vaillancourt said he couldn't even comment on the reason for the raids because he had no idea what police might have been looking for.

He made the remarks as the provincial Association of Suburban Mayors issued a letter demanding that Vaillancourt step aside, at least temporarily.

"Given everything that's going on at the (Quebec corruption inquiry) it's more important than ever for elected officials to regain the public trust," said the group's president, Peter Trent.

It's not the first time Trent has protested the Laval mayor's continued prominence; he has quit his post in the province's main union of municipalities to protest Vaillancourt's role within the organization.

Vaillanourt has governed Laval for 23 years, with little opposition.

But controversy has been swirling around him lately.

A news report last month on illegal campaign financing said an ex-fundraiser for the Parti Quebecois claimed he got $10,000 in cash from Vaillancourt during the 1994 provincial election.

It wasn't the first time Vaillancourt had been forced to deny such activities. He also denied offering money during a provincial election to Liberal Vincent Auclair and former PQ cabinet minister Serge Menard.

A columnist in Montreal La Presse quipped Friday that the mounting accusations made the mayor sound like a "reverse-kleptomaniac" — a man who simply can't resist the urge to give away money.

Vaillancourt delivered only a brief statement to the media Friday.

He said he did so because of his commitment to transparency although, after delivering that statement, he did not take any questions from the media.

The mayor of the Montreal-area community has become the most famous politician targeted by raids from the provincial police anti-corruption unit, created in the wake of scandals in 2009.

He said the police actions don't prove anything.

"This morning we are seeing a flurry of allegations, rumours and demands," Vaillancourt said.

He added, pausing for emphasis after each word: "I. Will. Not. Resign."

Related on HuffPost:

Loading Slideshow...
  • "Vinny Carwash"

    <a href="">Back In 2011, the FBI made one of the biggest Mafia busts ever in New York City</a>. Here are some of the funniest nicknames from that case.

  • "Junior Lollipops"

  • "The Vet"

  • "Johnny Pizza"

  • "The Claw"

  • "Marbles"

  • "The Professor"

  • "Tony Bagels"

  • "Johnny Cash"

  • "Baby Fat Larry"

Loading Slideshow...
  • Capibanda Sicliani, 1892

    These images of brigand chiefs Antonino Leone and Placido Rinaldi, positioned after death in poses for photographs, were preserved in the album of an old police official. Rinaldi, a native of Casteldilucio, was the leader of the Maurina gang, which was active in the countryside between Messina and Catania; the bounty on his head had reached 4,000 lire. He led the famous attack on the estate of the baroness Ciancio, making off with the incredible sum of 300,000 lire. On September 14, 1892, the commander of the carabinieri of the Pettineo Post, Vincenzo Venturi, along with his colleagues Francesco Navetta, Calogero Letizia, and Giovanni Castrogiovanni, while patrolling the Loreto district ran into the Maurina gang. In the shoot-out Rinaldi received a mortal wound.

  • Detective Joe Petrosino

    The story of Joe Petrosino (1860-1909) is one of those fatally destined to become legendary. Born in the Campagna region of Italy, he arrived in New York City with his family in 1873, and even as a boy he distinguished himself for industriousness. While studying English, he did not disdain dirtying his hands with humble labors such as shining shoes and sweeping streets. He joined the police force in 1883, and his early years were not easy as the only Italian policeman amid many Jewish and Irish colleagues. But the police needed a man who spoke the new language of criminality, that of the Black Hand and the first Mafia gangs. In 1895 one of the leaders of the police force, the future president of the United States Theodore Roosevelt, promoted him to sergeant and entrusted him with the roll of investigator, saving him from street patrol.

  • The arrest of Thomas Petto

    This image, from 1903, shows detective Joe Petrosino (far left) with his colleagues Carey and McCafferty, escorting Thomas Petto (second from left) to prison. Petto, nicknamed the "Ox," was twenty-four and a member of the Morello gang. A pawn ticket found in his pocket tied him to the murder of Benedetto Madonia. Petrosino caught him a few days after the discovery of the body and suspected that Petto was the material author of the murder. The so-called Barrel Murder, however, did not have a happy outcome at trial: between sudden memory losses of witnesses, silences, and retractions, none of the criminals involved was convicted.

  • Lucky Luciano, Napoli, 1954

    Without doubt, Luciano was the most farsighted of the Cosa Nostra's godfathers. During the years preceding the Second World War he had formed a commission composed of representatives of the five New York families: Bonanno, Gambino, Columbo, Genovese, and Lucchese. To these could be added the families in Buffalo, Detroit, Kansas City, Los Angeles, and the Chicago Outfit. [...] District Attorney Thomas E. Dewey got him on the charge of organizing a prostitution racket. He was sent to prison but given early parole and deported to Italy in 1946. But despite restrictions and checks Luciano did not lose his influence, nor did he stop exercising control over criminal traffic, first of all that of drugs. [...] He is shown [in this photograph] a few years later, in November1954, after a court hearing during which restrictive measures were applied to his activity. Without certain proof, but "suspected of socially dangerous activity," Luciano for two years was required not to leave his home in Naples between the hours of nine at night and seven the next morning."

  • The funeral of Don Calogero Vizzini, 1954

    Caption: Involved with the Allies during the liberation of Sicily, capable of winking at the separatist movement only to then swerve away towards the Christian Democrats when he understood Finocchiaro Aprile did not have a great future, Calogero Vizzini (...) was a perfect example of the old-style boss. [...] When Vizzini died, on July 12, 1954, thousands paid him tribute. In the photo showing the cortege one can see among many others, Don Francesco Paolo Bontate of Palermo, better known as Don Paolino Bonta, first on the left and father of Stefano, future boss. There is also (near the center, holding a cord tied to the coffin) Don Giuseppe Genco Russo of Mussomeli, who collected Vizzini's inheritance. The sign that friends attached to the door of the church of Villalba, where the funeral Mass was celebrated, read, "Calogero Vizzini, with the skill of a genius, raised the fate of a distinguished family. Wise and dynamic, never tired, he gave well-being to the workers of the land and the sulfur mines, always acting for good and making a good name for himself in Italy and elsewhere. Great in the face of persecution, even greater facing defeat, he never lost his smile, and today, returned to the peace of Christ in the majesty of death. From all his friends and even from his adversaries, he receives the most beautiful testimonial: he was a gentleman."

  • The homicide of Angelo Galatolo

    The year was 1956. By then the "Mafia of the markets," also called the "Mafia of the gardens," not only controlled the wholesale market of fruits and vegetables and their distribution among small tradesman, but also was involved in the supply of fertilizers and laborers, the transport of products, and the control of prices at every step of the transaction. The conquest of the market ordained that on August 23 the decision was made to kill Angelo Galatolo. Four months earlier it had been the turn of his brother Gaetano, called ′un zu Tanu.

  • The murder of Turridu Carnevale

    Francesca Serio, the mother of Turridu Carnevale, had a premonition. That night she had a terrible dream and saying good-bye to her son she told him to watch out. When she heard a man had been shot she understood at once and began running toward the quarry. Newspapers told of how a carabiniere tried to stop her, telling her it wasn't Salvatore. To which she responded, "Coward, this isn't my son? Those aren't the feet of my son? And those aren't the socks I washed for my son yesterday, which he put on his feet?" The desperate mother had no qualms about pointing her finger at the men who'd killed her son, and the trial that ended in December 1961 seemed to prove her right. The four men accused of the murder of Carnevale were all given life in prison. But the appeals process, which took place in Naples two years later, and then the Court of Cassation (court of final appeal), acquitted all of them.

  • The mysterious death of Salvatore Giuliano

    There are many versions of the death of Salvatore Giuliano, killed July 5, 1950. The only certainty is that the scene, as presented to the public and immortalized in the photographs released by the press, was in reality a theatrical production. The official version speaks of a gunfight between carabinieri and the bandit, who was then mortally wounded in the courtyard of the home of the lawyer Gregorio Di Maria at Castelvetrano. Unfortunately, the distribution of the wounds, and of the blood that flowed from them, indicate that Giuliano was killed elsewhere and was already dead when positioned in the courtyard. There are even those who hold that the body does not belong to the bandit but to a double, and that in fact Giuliano fled overseas under a false name, having covered his tracks in Spain, or Algeria, without ever returning to Italy.

  • Slaughter on Via Pipitone Federico, 1983

    Rocco Chinnici (1925-1983) entered the judiciary in 1952, holding several posts before being nominated investigating magistrate. His work and that of Antonino Caponnetto, who succeeded him, laid the groundwork for the Maxi trial of 1986. On July 29, 1983, a Fiat stuffed with TNT was blown up by remote control by Pino Greco. Aside from the many wounded, four people died in this slaughter on Via Pipitone Federico: Chinnici; two of his bodyguards, Mario Trapassi and Salvatore Bartolotta; and the concierge of his apartment house, Stefano Li Sacchi.