POLITICS

Nova Scotia announces funding package a month after flood waters hit in Truro

10/11/2012 10:49 EDT | Updated 12/11/2012 05:12 EST
TRURO, N.S. - The Nova Scotia government has announced an assistance program for victims of flooding in Truro last month worth about $2.6 million.

The government says it has also increased the cap on claims to $80,000 from $50,000 for homeowners and small businesses.

The cap for non-profit organizations will rise to $200,000 from $50,000.

The government says the changes will remain in effect for future disaster assistance claims.

Truro deputy mayor Ron Cavanaugh says the assistance program will be a "great help" to those whose properties were flooded Sept. 10 when more than 100 millimetres of rain fell.

The government says it will apply to Ottawa to cover a portion of the aid package.