MONTREAL - The accused gunman from the Parti Quebecois election-night rally showed up in court Thursday with a pair of bloody wounds on his head.

Richard Henry Bain arrived stepped into a Montreal courtroom with a pair of fresh scrapes atop his bald scalp — one the size of a loonie, the other as big as a nickel.

"The guard pushed me," Bain told his lawyer from the defendant's box, loud enough for the courtroom to hear.

After the brief appearance, defence attorney Elfriede Duclervil said she would request an investigation into the injuries and seek additional precautions for her client.

"My client is visibly injured," Duclervil said. "He has two wounds on his head — he was bleeding."

Bain's legal-aid attorney told reporters Thursday that an unauthorized phone interview he gave to a Montreal radio station from his detention centre would be used as evidence.

His next court date was set for Dec. 7.

The fishing-lodge owner faces 16 charges, including first-degree murder; three counts of attempted murder; arson; and a number of weapons charges stemming from the Sept. 4 incident where two people were shot and one was killed.

Loved ones of shooting victim Denis Blanchette sat in the front rows of the courtroom Thursday, a few metres from Bain. They did not say a word during the proceedings. Blanchette, a 48-year-old stagehand at the PQ's victory rally, was shot outside Montreal's Metropolis concert hall.

Bain's appearance was a discovery hearing, where evidence against him was provided to his lawyer. The evidence was translated into English, as he requested.

The handcuffed defendant was attentive during the hearing and glanced around the courtroom several times. He wore a sweatshirt and a necklace with a cross.

The evidence to be used against Bain could include the audio recording of an interview he gave radio station CJAD last month, during which he shared his political opinions such as his belief that Montreal should separate from the rest of the province.

The radio network said it had not yet turned over, nor received a formal request from police for, the interview recording.

Bain phoned the radio station from his detention centre's infirmary — without his lawyer's knowledge.

The phone call lasted 38 minutes, but the station said it chose to only run a brief snippet on the air to avoid giving him a political platform.

Duclervil, who has requested the full recorded conversation, was still wondering Thursday how he managed to make such a lengthy phone call from jail.

"I'm able to speak with my client and visit him on a regular basis," she said. "Am I able to speak with him on the phone for 38 minutes? The answer is no."

The shooting took place only metres from where the PQ's newly elected Premier Pauline Marois was giving her victory speech.

Bain was arrested after Blanchette and colleague Dave Courage were struck by a single bullet.

Wearing a mask and a bathrobe, Bain shouted that the, "English are waking up," as officers ushered him to a police cruiser after his arrest.

Following his first court appearance last month, the prosecution indicated that it hadn't ruled out an additional charge of attempted murder as it investigated whether Marois was an intended target in the shooting.

A spokesman for the Crown said Thursday that the investigation is ongoing and more charges could still be laid.

"It's not over," Jean-Pascal Boucher said.

"If there is something new, investigators will work to get all of the evidence."

The defence team, meanwhile, will only decide whether to request a psychiatric evaluation for Bain after it receives all the evidence against him, Duclervil said.

"As of right now, it's a possibility," she said.

Bain's safety following his last trip to the courthouse, which saw him transported by provincial police, wasn't a concern for his attorney.

"Today, he was brought here with the general population, with all the other inmates who had to appear in court today — and something happened, obviously," she said.

She added that she plans to request special protection for her client: "After today, I should. I will."

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version erroneously referred to the defence lawyer as Elfride Duclervil, taken from the Quebec bar association directory.

Related on HuffPost:

Loading Slideshow...
  • Richard Henry Bain

    Richard Henry Bain arrives at court in Montreal on Thursday, Sept.6, 2012. Bain, 61, the suspect in a deadly shooting at a rally following the election of Quebec’s new separatist premier was arraigned Thursday on 16 charges, including murder, attempted murder and possession of explosives. (AP Photo/Le Devoir via The Canadian Press, Jacques Nadeau) MONTREAL OUT

  • A gate blocks the entrance to Richard Henry Bain's fishing camp in La Conception, near Mont-Tremblant, Que. on Wednesday Sept. 5, 2012. Police sources confirmed they arrested a suspect by that name in the Montreal shooting that left one person dead and made headlines around the world.

  • A three-axle military truck sits near the entrance to Richard Henry Bain's fishing camp in La Conception, near Mont-Tremblant, Que. on Wednesday Sept. 5, 2012. Police sources confirmed they arrested a suspect by that name in the Montreal shooting that left one person dead and made headlines around the world.

  • Denis Blanchette, Pauline Marois, Ginette Jean

    Ginette Jean, mother of Denis Blanchette, reacts as she touches her son's casket during funeral services Monday, Sept. 10, 2012 in Montreal. Blanchette was killed outside the Parti Quebecois election night rally last week. Richard Bain was arraigned Thursday, Sept. 6 on 16 charges, including murder, attempted murder and possession of explosives. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Jocelyn Malette, Pool)

  • A man is arrested by police outside the Parti Quebecois victory rally in Montreal on Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012. A masked gunman wearing a blue bathrobe opened fire during a midnight victory rally for Quebec's new premier, killing one person and wounding another. The new premier, Pauline Marois of the separatist Parti Quebecois, was whisked off the stage by guards while giving her speech and uninjured. Police identified the gunman only as a 62-year-old man, and were still questioning him Wednesday morning. (AP Photo/Montreal La Presse via The Canadian Press, Olivier Pontbriand)

  • A weapon is recovered at the scene of the shooting outside the Parti Quebecois' election victory party (RDI screen shot)

  • Fire burns outside Montreal's Métropolis concert hall shortly after the shooting. (QMI)

  • A man is arrested outside Montreal's Métropolis concert hall soon after shots were fired during PQ Leader Pauline Marois' victory speech. (QMI)

  • A police officer looks towards a black SUV that has had its contents removed on a crime scene outside the Metropolis in Montreal on Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Sean Kilpatrick)

  • Police and fireman work at the rear of an auditorium where a gunman shot and killed at least one person during the PQ victory rally Wednesday, September 5, 2012 in Montreal. Guards whisked PQ leader Pauline Marois off the stage as handlers informed the partisan crowd there had been an explosive noise and they needed to clear the auditorium. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

  • Parti Quebecois Leader Pauline Marois takes the stage after winnnig the provincial election in Tuesday, Que. September 4, 2012. With the win, Marois becomes the first female premier in Quebec history. Moments later, she was rushed off the stage.

  • Parti Quebecois leader Pauline Marois is removed from the stage by SQ officers as she speaks to supporters in Montreal, Tuesday, September 4, 2012 following her election win. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

  • Parti Quebecois Leader Pauline Marois is whisked off stage as she delivered her victory speech in Montreal, Que., Tuesday, September 4, 2012. With the win, Marois becomes the first female premier in Quebec history. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

  • (RDI screenshot)

  • (RDI screenshot)

  • Police detail a person behind the Métropolis concert hall where Pauline Marois was making her victory speech (RDI screen shot)

  • Fire burns outside Montreal's Métropolis concert hall shortly after the shooting. (QMI)

  • Parti Quebecois Leader Pauline Marois returns to complete her speech after being whisked off the stage by security as she delivered her victory speech in Montreal, Que., Tuesday, September 4, 2012. With the win, Marois becomes the first female premier in Quebec history.

  • Police cordon off the rear outside an auditorium where a gunman shot and killed at least one person during the PQ victory rally Wednesday, September 5, 2012 in Montreal. Guards whisked PQ leader Pauline Marois off the stage as handlers informed the partisan crowd there had been an explosive noise and they needed to clear the auditorium. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

  • Police and fireman work at the rear of an auditorium where a gunman shot and killed at least one person during the PQ victory rally Wednesday, September 5, 2012 in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

  • Police cordon off the rear outside an auditorium where a gunman shot and killed at least one person during the PQ victory rally Wednesday, September 5, 2012 in Montreal. Guards whisked PQ leader Pauline Marois off the stage as handlers informed the partisan crowd there had been an explosive noise and they needed to clear the auditorium. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

  • Police work on a crime scene outside the Metropolis in Montreal on Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Sean Kilpatrick)

  • A police officer looks towards a black SUV that has had its contents removed at a crime scene outside the Metropolis in Montreal on Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012.(AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Sean Kilpatrick)