10/19/2012 09:05 EDT | Updated 12/19/2012 05:12 EST

Exploding fireplace warning issued

Health Canada is telling consumers to stop using certain gas fireplaces made by CFM Inc., also known as Majestic Fireplace, because of a risk they may explode.

There have been six incidents reported in Ontario of fireplaces exploding on ignition, shattering the glass doors and causing injury.

People with Majestic fireplaces with the trade names Insta-flame or Northern Flame on them should stop using them, said Health Canada, and the fuel supply should be disconnected immediately by a licensed gas technician.

Stephane Shank, of Health Canada, said the manufacturer is no longer in business, and that means a recall is not possible.

"We are simply advising Canadians to stop use," said Shank.

"Unfortunately Health Canada is not in a position to be able to offer some level of information with regards to compensation by another manufacturer, another retailer."

The relief dampers on the fireplaces may not function properly, causing the excess gas to ignite and the glass to explode when lighting them.