POLITICS

Winnipeg police murder investigation gets new information about accused drifter

10/19/2012 12:25 EDT | Updated 12/19/2012 05:12 EST
WINNIPEG - Winnipeg police said Friday they have received new information in their investigation of a drifter accused of killing three aboriginal woman in separate incidents over the past year.

Dozens of people, many from outside Winnipeg, have called a national tip-line set up in July about Shawn Lamb. Some of the information is prompting investigators to go back and talk to previous callers, although police would not be specific.

"Obviously, for the sake of the investigation, I'm not in a position to share those details," Const. Jason Michalyshen told reporters.

"To say that there might be something new that has come to the table, and now we want to explore it further by conducting these interviews with respect to the individuals that previously called, I think it's absolutely fair to say that."

Lamb is accused of second-degree murder in the deaths of Tanya Nepinak, Carolyn Sinclair and Lorna Blacksmith. The tip line was set up in part to determine whether Lamb, 52, might be connected to any unsolved cases across Canada.

Blacksmith, 18, was found dead in January. Sinclair, 25, died in March. Both bodies were found wrapped in plastic near garbage bins.

Nepinak's body has never been found. It's believed the 31-year-old's body was put in a Dumpster and ended up in the Brady landfill just south of the city. Police searched a section of the landfill for a week earlier this month, but found no sign of Nepinak.

Lamb's arrest in June prompted renewed calls from aboriginal leaders for a national inquiry on missing and murdered aboriginal women. To date, the federal government has rejected the idea.

Lamb remains in custody.