The department is not releasing specifics on who died or where it happened.
It is warning Manitobans to use caution when working around or cleaning out areas where mice are living, because the virus is in the urine, feces and saliva of infected deer mice.
There have been four lab-confirmed cases of hantavirus in Manitoba since 1999 — that's when the government started to keep records on it.
Early symptoms include fever and muscle aches, possibly with chills, a headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and cough.
The government says this is the first recorded death in Manitoba from hantavirus since 2000.