ALBERTA

Calgary fire department lays charges following fatal rooming house blaze

10/31/2012 12:27 EDT | Updated 12/31/2012 05:12 EST
CALGARY - Calgary fire officials have charged the owners of a rooming house where a person died with failing to equip the building with smoke alarms.

Fire crews rescued three people from the residence on Sept. 12 and another was found unconscious but later died from his injuries.

Police homicide detectives continue to investigate the death of Daniel McWha, who was 57.

Annop and Deepti Bungay each face a dozen counts under the Safety Codes Act for numerous fire code violations that also include failing to provide fire extinguishers.

The penalty for a first offence on each charge is a maximum $15,000 fine or up to six months in jail.

The two owners are scheduled to appear in court in January.

MORE:Albertacp