POLITICS

No injuries or damaged coins after fire at Royal Canadian Mint in Winnipeg

11/06/2012 12:53 EST | Updated 01/06/2013 05:12 EST
WINNIPEG - There are no injuries and no burned money after a fire at the Royal Canadian Mint's facility in Winnipeg.

The fire broke out Monday afternoon in some equipment used to test coin-making plates.

Spokesperson Christine Aquino (ah-KWEEN'-oh) says employees were evacuated safely and production resumed within a few hours.

The Winnipeg fire department says the fire was caused by overheated electrical equipment, and was contained by the building's sprinkler system.

Damage is estimated at $200,000.

The Winnipeg plant is one of the mint's two manufacturing facilities in Canada — the other is in Ottawa.