EDMONTON - The Alberta government has launched an investigation after a person in care was recently scalded in a bathtub.

Frank Oberle, the minister responsible for disabled persons, said Friday the person has received treatment for burns and blisters to the legs and buttocks and has now been moved to a different facility.

Oberle wouldn't say where the scalding took place, except to say it was in southern Alberta.

"I'm absolutely astounded and very much saddened that it has happened," said Oberle.

"We've got an investigation underway now and we're going to follow through to make sure the training was actually applied properly. But at this time it appears that all the appropriate precautions were taken."

He said the bathtub had temperature controls and the staff were trained in safety protocols to prevent such accidents.

He has asked for a review of procedures at the facility and an examination of the care record for the person scalded.

The incident happened at a private facility working under contract to the province.

The Alberta government brought in new safety standards earlier this year after a disabled man in government care died from scalding injuries he suffered while being bathed.

The 35-year-old man died in hospital of injuries to the lower half of his body in November 2011 after being scalded in Calgary the previous October.

The province ordered that temperature regulators be installed at facilities that deal with people with developmental disabilities and staff were ordered to follow specific safety procedures.

Also on HuffPost: