NEWS

Catholic board considers paying costs of rerouted buses

11/08/2012 10:06 EST | Updated 01/08/2013 05:12 EST
The Toronto Catholic District School Board says it would consider paying for last week's rerouted buses if the TTC asks.

On Nov. 1, tension at a high-school football game prompted Toronto police to make the controversial decision to get a TTC bus to pick up a team coached by Mayor Rob Ford.

The decision to use TTC buses, and not school buses, ousted transit riders and left them in the rain.

The TTC said they do not want to set a precedent for paying for shelter buses, but they would not refuse a payment from the Catholic school board.

TTC officials added, however, that there is no way to calculate an estimate for such a payment.

"It's very difficult to come up with those costs because the operators are already working; they're already on the route, the bus is already in service," Brad Ross, a TTC spokesman, said Thursday.

Moving people from location to location happens rarely. The last time the TTC was involved in emergency transport was during the Sunrise Propane explosion.

The police have the final say in what is considered an emergency.

"It's not up to us to decide," said Ross. "It's not something we would question."

MORE:cbcNews