ALBERTA

Canada's world champ Del Bosco out two to three months with shoulder injury

11/17/2012 12:27 EST | Updated 01/17/2013 05:12 EST
NAKISKA, Alta. - Canada's defending ski-cross world champion Chris Del Bosco will be sidelined two to three months after undergoing shoulder surgery.

The 30-year-old from Montreal crashed and separated his shoulder in Nakiska, Alta., this week where the team was training for the inaugural FIS Nakiska Ski Cross World Cup. He had surgery on Thursday in Vail, Colo.

"I've been in this situation before and I'm confident I know what it takes," Del Bosco said. "This is going to be a great year for Canadian ski cross. I'm bummed I can't be there to start it off in Canada but I know we will be well represented.

"I wish all my teammates the best — I will be back to help them out later this season."

Del Bosco has been one of the world's most dominant ski-cross racers the past four years, amassing 17 World Cup podium finishes and six victories.

Del Bosco is targeting the Olympic test event in Sochi, Russia, in February for his return to competition.

He plans to defend his world title in Voss, Norway, in March.

"This is a time to refocus and start moving forward again," Del Bosco said. "I will do everything I can to come back strong and defend my title."

Earlier this week, Canada's Olympic women's champion Ashleigh McIvor announced her retirement from the sport.

MORE:Albertacp