NEWS

Calgary police say toddler was strangled by blind cords

11/22/2012 08:02 EST | Updated 01/22/2013 05:12 EST
Calgary police are calling the death of a toddler a "tragic accident."

Investigators have determined window blind cords are to blame for the strangling of the two-year-old.

Police and EMS were called to a house in Discovery Ridge in the city's southwest Wednesday around noon.

The two-year-old boy was taken to the Alberta Children's Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Health Canada has recorded 28 deaths from blind cords between 1986 and 2010.

Canada has regulations in place that restrict the use of cord loops and require warning labels, but those rules don't address the hazards of roman style and roll-up blinds.

MORE:cbcNews