NEWS

13-year-old boy faces charges in violent assault

12/07/2012 08:59 EST | Updated 02/06/2013 05:12 EST
A 13-year-old boy is to appear in Quebec youth court Friday in connection with a violent assault on a schoolmate in Répentigny, 35 kilometres northeast of Montreal.

Parents of the 13-year-old girl called police at 8:20 p.m. Thursday after their daughter failed to return from school, and checks with all her friends turned up no trace of her.

"This is a girl with good marks in school," said Répentigny police chief inspector Serge Adam. "She had no history of running away, no involvement with drugs or alcohol."

Adam said police were at the girl's home to begin their investigation when the teenager returned at around 9 p.m..

"She was badly injured and missing several pieces of clothing," Adam said.

The girl was taken to hospital and treated for cuts around her face and throat, a punctured lung and a possible broken nose.

Adam said the girl told police she had been at the nearby home of a 13-year-old boy she knew from school.

The boy is in custody and is to appear in youth court, where he is expected to face several charges in connection with the attack.

MORE:cbcNews