NEWS

No plans to cancel surgeries in Regina due to hospital overcrowding

12/10/2012 09:29 EST | Updated 02/09/2013 05:12 EST
REGINA - There's still issues with overcrowding at Regina’s two hospitals, but the Regina-Qu’Appelle Health Region isn’t planning on any more cancellations of surgeries or procedures this week.

As of Monday morning, the Regina General Hospital was operating at 115 per cent overcapacity and the Pasqua Hospital was at 104 per cent.

But Michael Redenbach, the region’s Chief Operating Officer of Health Services, says the numbers should start dropping soon.

He says hospital utilization typically goes down over the Christmas break.

He says part of the backlog has to do with a lack of community-based services.

That means those with underlying conditions such as diabetes could avoid hospitals with improved primary care services.

“Whether that’s with a family physician, a nurse practitioner, or other community-based health care professionals, we can help these people manage their diseases and keep them out of the hospital,” he said.

Some elective surgeries at the two hospitals were cancelled last week.

Redenbach says they monitor overcapacity on a daily basis. He said initiatives to help reduce numbers, like timely discharges and moving patients to their home health regions, are working.

(CJME)

MORE:cpNews