NEWS

Hazmat scare triggers evacuation of Vancouver block

12/19/2012 08:53 EST | Updated 02/18/2013 05:12 EST
People living on a block of Vancouver's Granville Street are being allowed to return to their homes after they were forced to flee when firefighters learned there were hazardous materials in the area, a city fire official says.

Firefighters responded to a downed power pole in the lane of the 5200 block of Granville Street at about 2:20 p.m. PT and had to put out a fire in a garage sparked by the downed wires, said Capt. Gabe Roder.

Roder said fire crews then learned that there were hazardous materials in the garage.

"At this time we cannot confirm the type or nature of the hazardous materials," Roder said.

He said those forced out will be allowed to return to their homes and Granville Street would reopen to traffic.

An environmental waste agency has been contacted to deal with the clean-up of the hazardous materials, Roder said

MORE:cbcNews